Guided Walks and Excursions
Nature is most restorative to the soul and body. Nothing can provide the peace and relaxation you experience in summer at the cooling blue ocean, and in winter green and warm forest, watching a waterfall or river stream or looking at a breath-taking mountain view. All these you’ll be able to experience during your stay.
The view of the ocean and the Desolation Sound mountain range that you see from the resort, including in lecture and yoga rooms, is so astonishing – it is exactly as you see it in the pictures. The ocean is ever changing, and you never get tired of watching it change hues and views. If you are lucky, you may even be able to spot whales or seals at a distance in certain times of the year. Never mind collecting sand dollars, which are rarely found in other parts of the world, watching giant red jelly fish on the beach and collecting oyster shells. Campbell River is considered one of the richest places for marine life in the world. Many species not found elsewhere live here.
Wherever we travel, when back to the Island, we are amazed with its beauty, pristine nature and clean air, and sometimes hard to believe – ever green grass (except during the hottest months on the year). It is almost never cold here, at least not if you come from the cooler parts of Canada. You hardly see light frost for more than several weeks in a row, and snow falls not more than 3-4 times a year. Summers are warm with +20 to 30 C and winters with average +5 C. In winter time it is important to bring with you waterproof shoes (runners and rubber shoes), a pair of woolen socks, and a warm jacket.
Our Walking/Excursions Routes (sample)
- Guided Nature Walk to Salmon Point: The closest daily walking route. Enjoy our beautiful trails and evergreen grass. Watch residential eagles living on top of the mature trees right above your head. Listen to the ocean waves while walking or sitting near the beach. Approx walking time: 35-45 minutes. Total walk time: 1 hr
- Guided Nature Walk to Oyster River Park: On this return walk there is everything: beautiful old trees in the park, river, more trees, and ocean side. Great walk for every day routine, on your own or with a buddy. Approx. walking time 60-70 min, driving time 5 min. If you walk both ways, the full route will take you 2-2.5 hrs. Total walk time: 1.5 hrs
- Guided Nature Hike to Elk Falls: This hike has wonderful views and includes slightly elevated terrain. There are many walk routes at the Falls, in different parts of the park. In late October to December you may be able to see eagles and/or bears catching the returning to Pacific salmon spawning, a fascinating view unique to only a few places. Approx. walking time 1 hr. 20 min, driving time 20-30 min each way. Total walk time: 2.5 hrs
- Hike to Bear Creek Nature Park: This close hike offers a perfect sampling of BC’s primitive coastal rainforest, with a mix of easy terrain. The trails work through natural hillside terraces, forest, swamp, and flood plain. Approximate walking time is about 1 hour, driving time 10 minutes each way. There are several different trails in Bear Creek, in different parts of the park.
- Guided Nature Walk-Excursion to Nymph Falls: The park is located on the Puntledge River and includes a waterfall known locally as ‘Nymph Falls’. Trails within the park connect with a larger system up and down the river. The forest is a regenerating second growth forest and contains a variety of terrain. Approx. walking time: 1 hrs. 20 min, driving time 30 min each way. Total walk time: 2.5 hrs
- Guided Nature Walk-Excursion to Seal Bay Park: a place of “serenity and beauty”, Seal Bay Park is a favourite for guests, with a series of easy, looping trails and a variety of mild terrain Sometimes we guide two walks to this location, but each of them will include different trails. The Seal Bay Park is very big. Approx. walking time: 1 hrs. 20 min, driving time 20-30 min each way. Total walk time: 2 hrs
- Woodland Gardens: a level, easy walk in a privately-owned park, created by hand by the original owner. Woodland Gardens has one of the largest rhododendron collections in Western Canada with over 3000 plantings. It is also home to a multitude of native plants, birds and wildflowers. Its 24 wooded acres are covered with bark mulch paths and many water features. It is recognized as one of the world’s finest informal show gardens. walking time: 1 hrs. 20 min, driving time 20 min each way. Total walk time: 2 hrs
- Beaver Lodge Forest Lands: a mild to moderate hike in this 70-100 year-old second growth forest, situated right on the city limits of Campbell River. You can expect to catch glimpses of old logging cuts, and a great variety of wildlife including black tail deer, eagles, owls, and numerous waterfowl and small birds. Approximate walking time: 1.5 hrs., 15 minutes driving time each way. Total walk time: 2 hrs
For additional info on walks see our Yoga and Fitness Section
All walks and excursions are subject to cancellations due to weather and potential route closures. Please accept our apologies in advance if this becomes the case due to variables beyond our control.
The Ocean Resort, hosting Fresh Start retreats, is an eco-friendly facility. This means completely smoke-free buildings, mostly laminate floors, hypoallergenic duvets, eco-paints and carpets, and fully natural body care amenities. Unique drift-wood and stone elements are prominent in the tasteful design, and when you walk around the resort, you have a feeling of natural beauty and simplicity that is relaxing, uncluttered and clean. Additionally, the Fresh Start staff use eco-friendly cleaning and laundry detergents, wherever possible.